?
January 14, 2005
21 Grams and a Comic Strip
Coming out of the 21 Grams showing at Ingle tonight, I accidentally listened in on the conversation of the people behind me. When the girl mentioned Gabe, my ears perked up. By the time she mentioned Tycho by name, I'd already know what she was talking about; for I had already read the particular entry of "Penny Arcade" being related. I'm not sure why that's so important, but I felt it worth noted as it is the first time I can recall my internet world bleeding out into the real world. I also found it surprising that it was the girl and not the guy who had committed the strip to memory. One of the quirks of attending a geek school I suppose.
Earlier I was thinking about what this particular entry would cover and I was going to talk about what a positively beautiful day it was here; 63 degrees with blue skies - I didn't even need my jacket! But both my walk to and from the movie was rainy, with the return trip particularly so. If only the film were remotely near worth it.
21 Gram is the first film in a long time that I've actually considered walking out on. The non-linear editing initially intrigues then becomes a chore that for a film whose running time far exceeds the amount the material warranted. The almost frantic attack on Christianity and a weak, super-PC stance on drug usage. There were moments that affected me on a visceral level but never a moment that felt emotionally honest to me. Napoleon Dynamite was horrible as well, but atleast it had enough of a spark to make me hate it. I left 21 Grams totally unaffected, feeling like I'd just wasted two hours unnecessarily.
Still, it's good to get outside, I suppose.
  posted by Adam at 00:33 |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Profile
Adam
Freelance Film Critic Albany, NY Boston, MA Contact me


Previous Entries


Archives



Powered by Blogger Buy This Through Amazon.Com