?
August 02, 2004
Day Thirteen
I was going to start learning to program today, or atleast flip through my Java for Dummies book again. However, I was called away to glorious Connecticut where I spent the day lifting and moving heavy objects in humid air up a flight of stairs, getting two free meals, meeting wonderful new people, sharing time with a good friend - and being paid for the experience!

I've got to say, it feels good putting in an honest day's work for a change. I ache in several places and am truly exhausted; it feels wonderful. The drive was I'd estimate a little over two hours. We got there and parked and met my friend's older brother, whose stuff we were tasked with moving. It had been a unique trip up, being in a mini-van following a giant yellow Penske rental moving truck over two toll roads and across winding country roads. Deciding to get food, we drove into town and found what seemed to be a Greek restaurant called Antigone's, which had a fantastic mushroom pizza. Crispy crust but with real cheese on top. Reminded me of Smith's Tavern out in Voorheesville. While we waited for our meal, I got into a fascinating political discussion with my friend and his family.

Once we got back, his parents took to mini-van to deliver paste somewhere about hour-round-trip away. In the mean time we unloaded the stuff and brought it up. His brother's apartment is built inside the old power house for a mill, and the smoke stack still stands. It's on the third floor, which seems awful, but fortunately there's a back entrance which is level with the second floor. We ended up only having to deal with one flight of stairs.

I had my first real conversation with my friend's oldest sister and brother-in-law, who have three adorable children: a six-year-old girl, a toddler, and a baby. My friend's sister handled the kids while everyone else unpacked.

I was unnerved by how much more sophisticated kids are today. The two fully mobile children were planted in the apartment's empty bedroom watching movies on a portable DVD player. After watching them, I realized with absolute certainty that the six-year-old could undoubtedly operate a DVD player better than my parents.

The trip home was a magnificent show of nature. From the fog rising from the valleys as we started our return trip to the lighting that flashed from inside the clouds, we saw some great and unusual sites. By far, however, the highlight was the most magnificent sunset I've ever seen. It was like a glowing bright orange hot-air balloon without the basket underneath, suspended in a blue-grey sky. I tried finding an example using Google Image Search, but I can't find anything like it. Picture this sun on a grey sky as the light's failing, and you'll get an idea.

Watched tonight's "4400." I enjoyed it except I flipped off during the last set of commercials to check the news, and flipped back to the credits. Missed the last five minutes... Damn!

  posted by Adam at 01:58 |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Profile
Adam
Freelance Film Critic Albany, NY Boston, MA Contact me


Previous Entries


Archives



Powered by Blogger Buy This Through Amazon.Com