?
July 15, 2005
Striving for a Little Bit More
The other night I was at the local Borders watching my friend's band play at an open-mic. Watching each group, I found it endlessly fascinating to watch how each in turn dealt with facing a crowd - and their own imperfection. No one there was exactly ready for primetime, but some were tantalizingly close, and watching their expressions showed the degree to which they wanted it. From two old folk singers who have come to peace with their inability to proceed further to the girl who gets up - apologizes for being there and wasting people's time - and then performs one of most engaging and unique performances of the night, there's something tragically and beautifully human about the whole affair which is so true, and occasionally so uplifting.
The drummer of my friend's band was forbidden from playing lest she disturb the reading group across the way. Their sets were cut by a song each. Then, at the end of the night: inspiration. The got to perform the final encore, playing each cut song and wrapping it up with my favorite song written by my friend - with a band so overjoyed to get to rock out that they pulled off a minor greatness.
It's this kind of thing that gives me hope in an ocean of ignorance. Car trips into the wilderness with old friends for the sheer joy of getting lost. Having a chief justice stand firmly behind the integrity of his job amid almost eager rumors of his resignation and an ungoing battle with thyroid cancer. Little moments like these give me hope; little glimpses of the other side of the coin from the ugly one we far too often expose to the world.
  posted by Adam at 14:10 |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Profile
Adam
Freelance Film Critic Albany, NY Boston, MA Contact me


Previous Entries


Archives



Powered by Blogger Buy This Through Amazon.Com