?
October 12, 2004
Day Eighty-Three
It is perhaps fitting that I've just finished Reading "The Garden of Forking Paths" by Jorge Luis Borges twice, and each time was a completely different order. The predominant indications point to the second ordering being the correct one, but I'm not surprised (having read it these two times) to find that the first reading was not any less valid.

The model of time - which has been taken in countless films, TV shows, and novels - is a fluid one. This moment in which I am typing is for me the only true singularity. Everything before this moment stretches out in all variety of pasts. Everything which follows this moment spans infinitely across all possibilities. There is are countless futures in which a 747 will come plowing through the side of my residence hall and kill me with its impact. And those countless improbable futures are only a small spectrum of the possible futures.

The journey to find a setting conducive to reading it led me to my first twinge of depression in a week. Earlier today, the possibilities that programming offered me got my really really jazzed. The problem was that I ended up spending the two hours I'd set aside for finishing my lab designing the main menu system for this game I've started as a pet project. I did end up getting one of the activities done, and most of the way through the second to last one. I'm planning on finishing that up during the break between Computer Science and Calc.

It was so cold this morning that I actually broke out the intermediate jacket that I'd gotten back during the summer. Even with that on I was chilly. Having neglected to get milk Sunday night and finding the Corner Store was closed until after I had to leave for Comp. Sci., I ended up doing a quick meal at Gracie's. So now I'm one meal ahead of where I'd like to be. Today was open house, so I took advantage of the ability to have one extra non-Gracies meal to hit Crossroads (you, know where the shooting happened.) I got a small tuna sub with lettuce and American cheese on their plain sub roll. It's amazing what using decent ingredients does; for the first time since arriving here, I not only finished my meal, but I wanted more! I satisfied my lingering hunger by getting a packet of peanut M&Ms out of the vending machine in my Cultural Anthropology building.

I managed to remember to call my grandmother before my Red Brick meeting this week. I took my first opportunity to break off the quarter-mile after leaving Calc and hit the call button on her name as soon as I felt sufficiently isolated. It was a nice thirteen minute call that took me all the way to Gracie's and a little after, even taking the back way. Aunt Sarah and Uncle Tony had a massive boulder removed from the lawn of their camp. It was a major operation, but apparently it worked out all right.

Overall, today was a beast of a day; non-stop from waking up until eight, pretty much. Tomorrow's going to be busy to make up for my excesses today. But hopefully, with Outing Club not until nine, I'll have a nice break in my day. Monday and Tuesday are proving to be the real hump to get past. Wenesday and Thursday I'm beaten down from the first two days, but they're fairly smooth sailing. In another window I'm talking with Darren, and he's slowly replacing Alex and I. I have mixed feelings on the matter.

  posted by Adam at 01:13 |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Profile
Adam
Freelance Film Critic Albany, NY Boston, MA Contact me


Previous Entries


Archives



Powered by Blogger Buy This Through Amazon.Com