?
November 29, 2005
Frustration and Hope
It's almost astonishing how a day which began so horribly can be full of such depth, wonder, humanity, and hope. Okay, the morning wasn't all bad: the speech I helped write in public speaking was one of the first times I showed my Emerson peers my funny side. But then American Politics came. The lecture was the same old liberal prep talk we usually get. I get my test back: "18 — you earned the lowest grade in the class. See Me." That I studied had no impact, that I still felt half the anwsers he'd given zero credit for seemed right didn't matter. The fact that I was surrounded by a class - many of whom probably don't even know who the secretary of defense is much less how our political system works - did better than me in a class with "Politics" in the title frustrated me to know end. Failing the class seems all but iminent now. It will be a primary concern through the rest of the semester.
But it has not become the dominating factor of the night. Maia went to see "Rent" with me tonight, and the movie (which started out awkward, dry, and unfocused) finished by moving me to tears not once but thrice. Then we went back to her school and had a conversation about actual, deep meaningful truths that connected purely and simply. For the first time in a long time, I wasn't alone.
  posted by Adam at 02:35 |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Profile
Adam
Freelance Film Critic Albany, NY Boston, MA Contact me


Previous Entries


Archives



Powered by Blogger Buy This Through Amazon.Com