?
May 09, 2005
"You can't spell 'manslaughter' without laughter"
That was on the white board when I left the CS Labs tonight around midnight. Says all it needs to about the mentality around here right now. Project was going good until I hit a road block that had be stuck until probably past ten. Got back and onto the ground floor hallway. Darren was on and had the first good talk with him since he moved back home. He had a vague idea of a song that was bugging him, and he hummed it to me over Skype. Took a little digging, but I managed to find it - "Roll to Me" by Del Amitri. It put a lively, optimistic spin on my night after the burnout from the project.
Down to the home stretch now. Tomorrow (well, technically today) marks single digits until I leave. That makes the whole thing far less soul-crushing.
This week was actually pretty smooth-sailing. I lost my eye mask a couple days ago and didn't find it until this morning. After two nights of getting woken up by him and then not being able to get back to sleep easily because of the light, I finally decided to get a new one from Wegman's last night on a bus that picked me up five minutes from midnight. The bus driver's wife tracked him down and brought him food. I was the only passenger on the bus so it was just me and this big black guy, cruising through the night illuminated by the harsh artifical light of the bus. His last week for the wicked night shift is this week coming up, and he really got the issues that I've struggled with. Here's another man who values his privacy. It's good to have a great conversation with a stranger sometimes. The only thing that gave me pause was the face that he knew all of my dorm-specific issues so well. If he went to college, I have to wonder how he ended up pulling a night shift for the city bus system. Nothing dishonorable about driving buses for a living, but I just hope I'm not paying thirty grand a year to end up with that eventuality. Shit, I could damn near do that right now.
  posted by Adam at 03:18 |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Profile
Adam
Freelance Film Critic Albany, NY Boston, MA Contact me


Previous Entries


Archives



Powered by Blogger Buy This Through Amazon.Com